Three Little Princesses

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Wholesome Commercials Please

A couple days ago I was forced to watch a Basketball game for a certain team in Utah that my husband happens to love, love, LOVE. We only have satellite on one t.v. because we kept thinking we were gonna move any day now. Still here! Okay this vent is not my reason for posting.


You would think a basketball game would be nice enough for a family to sit and watch with their little ones. I mean there is no swearing (if you don't count reading the players or coaches lips), No half dressed women (In the Utah winter they would be crazy!), etc.


Well the thing that EERKS me is all the commercials. The are all very heavily suggestive. Using sex to sell a cookie, a candy bar, or even a roast beef sandwich. I personally think it is getting a bit out of control.


I am definitely not a prude, but when it comes to my kids, it becomes a completely different story. I guess it is time for us to join the everyone else in the new millennium and get a dvr so we can skip them all together.

7 comments:

Yvonne said...

LOL at your comment about reading the coaches and players lips ; ) Commercials are crazy.

Lara Neves said...

It's amazing how racy commercials are getting nowadays. I don't watch much tv, but am usually shocked when I do! No DVR here, but I love watching at my SIL's house with theirs.

Corrine said...

I would have to say that I LOVE my tivo... I HATE those commercials... if my home is to be a refuge from the world... the world I must keep out. It is not ok that sex sells!!!

Holly said...

Hiya Ashley! I agree wholeheartedly about tacky, overly suggestive commercials--where's the product? Why do you need a girl in a bikini, or less, to sell it??? I'm GRRRRRing over here too right along with you. I am thankful for out DVR to just hop over most of them.

I'm worried for when my daughter gets older and realizes more of what she sees at the mall too, from the window displays(V. Secret) and then the girls shopping. I don't go that often, but when I do I'm always shocked at what teen girls are wearing--or not as the case may be. Sorry, I guess I got on my soapbox!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

My boys are so used to us saying, "Close your eyes!" or "Someone hit the mute button!" I hate that commercials are so bad. And, you're right, even the players and coaches aren't always great examples either. It's the only reason I wish we had a DVR or Tivo!

Laurie said...

I HATE commercials. I am always left with my jaw on the ground. I cannot believe how sex can sell everything!!!! We don't watch much TV at all anymore. My husband has found this cable channel on the internet that he watches all his favorite shows and they only have a couple of commercials, like football commercials nothing offensive, and that has worked the best for us. I'm not up to date on all the gadgets but I do like the internet!

Nicole said...

I KNOW!!! Im glad there are other people out there that feel the same. It really annoys me that commercials arent even wholesome anymore.