This year for Thanksgiving I am in charge of the cooking. Many people would say "and", well my "and" is I have never cooked a turkey in my 24 years (wink wink) of life. (hey I have seen a few 24 yr olds I look better than). I am scared!!
Anyone who knows me well knows I do NOT cook.
Jeremy and I ate out for pretty much all the first few years of our marriage. After the kids were old enough to eat, I had to start teaching myself to cook. I think the meals I cook now are getting better. Jeremy has seemed a little bit more excited to eat my food this past year.
Back to the present, I've always been in charge of the green bean casserole. How hard is that though? I have always used the Campbell soup recipe. This year I am gonna follow a recipe from scratch that should be fabulous. Knock on wood! Along with that I am making all the holiday fixin's. (Yes, in Texas this is a word!)
I am gonna miss my mom's home cooking. I have her recipes but it won't taste the same I am sure. I am gonna miss my sister's home made pies. They are delicious! I will miss the company I am used to having, but we won't be alone. Jeremy's family will be joining us.
We will be having turkey (of course), potatoes, creamed cauliflower, glazed carrots, stuffing, cranberry gelatin salad (this is a very yummy family recipe), green bean casserole, candied yams (not my fav, but at Jeremy's request), rolls, homemade gravy, package gravy and maybe some extra veggies for the non-meat eaters, and lots of desserts.
So far it looks promising. I did all my grocery shopping on Saturday except for a few fresh items. I hate shopping in a crowded grocery store. Tomorrow I will make my pumpkin cheesecake, buy my favorite carmel apple walnut pie, and the fresh stuff. Wednesday I will prepare everything I can ahead of time, so that Thursday goes smoothly.
Of course all this is preparation for black Friday, there will be enough food for the kids, Jeremy, and his family to eat all day, so I can shop,shop,shop.
I love to eat, so this is one of my favorite holidays.
6 comments:
You go girl!! I am very proud of you. If I had to do that I would be terified. I mean it too and I am older than you. I have only cooked a turkey twice in the almost 7 years that we have been married. This year since we can't be around family we are going to go to a resturante with a friend of Jasons from work. Anywho back to you. Your goona to GREAT!!! oh and have fun shopping the next day. I wish I could come.
You'll do wonderfully, Ashley!! It sounds like you are prepared, so go on with your bad self :) I, too, have never cooked a turley, but fortunately my ol' husband prefers to cook, so hooray for that! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
You are awesome! I remember the first and last time I cooked a turkey and all of Thanksgiving dinner. It actually turned out well, but I don't want to have to do it again.
Oooh Ashley, I feel your stress. I am the cook this year also. It's just for my family and Ken's sisters family but still. I tend to get really stressed out and then I get a headache and then I don't have fun and AAAHHH! (Deep Breath) So, I'll be thinking of you. Good Luck! You're menu sounds great! I hope that you have a wonderful day! Happy Thanksgiving!
Good for you, Ashley. You will do a great job!!!
You have quite the menu. I haven't really even thought about what I'm cooking--other than the usual. I better think so I can shop tomorrow!!!
Yum for the pumpkin cheesecake--sounds delicious.
Happy Thanksgiving Enjoy the shopping on Friday.
Cooking a turkey is no big deal! You'll be just fine. We're hosting as well. I made apple pie today!
Post a Comment