Three Little Princesses

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Oh, What do You do in the Winter Time?

On Saturday it snowed a lot. The snow flakes were huge! I thought it was extremely cold.

So what did we do to keep warm??


We ate some yummy chili. I love this recipe. I like a meaty chili with a little bit of a kick. I am not a canned chili person. Sorry all you Wolfe Brand lovers. I usually need a really meaty cornbread too. Not sweet johnny cake, but the good iron skillet Texas corn bread.

My husband's family is from Utah and a lot of people there prefer scones. My DH being one of them, so I try to please everyone. Saturday we made scones.

We make a little honey butter to top them off, and it ends up being sweet goodness.

On Sunday church was cancelled, so we bundled up the girls and had family time in the snow.

The girls had the best time.

Jeremy helped the girls make a "snow fort". It kind of turned into a playground with a tunnel and a slide. The girls LOVED it!

Here they are showing off their "fort". It was bright, and beautiful outside with all the freshly fallen snow. I am glad the girls were able to make some fun memories.

Good and Hot Crockpot Chili

1lb. ground beef

1 cup chopped onions

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup chopped green peppers

28-oz. can tomatoes

14-oz. can tomato sauce

2 14-oz. cans kidney beans, undrained (I prefer the dark ones!)

2 Tbsp. chili powder

1 Tbsp. garlic powder

1 Tbsp. hot sauce

1. Brown beef in skillet. Reserve drippings and transfer drained beef to slow cooker.

2. Saute onions, celery, and green peppers in drippings. Drain and transfer to slow cooker.

3. Stir in remaining ingredients.

4. Cover. Cook on high 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.

This is so yummy! My hubby thinks it is spicy, I don't think it is! So if you were raised in the South where everything has a kick, it is mild. If you are flavor sensitive it may be spicy.






8 comments:

Yvonne said...

The pictures are great. I bet the girls enjoyed that time out in the snow--especially if they were nice and warm ; )

Your chili looks great, but I did almost gasp when I saw 2 T. chili powder AND 1 Tbsp. hot sauce--I like a little spicy but that might be too much for me. Sounds yummy though.

Laurie said...

Okay, I am a little slow but I just noticed your very cute signature and I love it! Also, your header is so so cute! Where do you make them? Do you have a program that you use? And, this last weekend when I was planning menus I was wishing that I had a new really good crock pot Chili recipe! You must have read my mind! I cannot wait to try this, however I may take the heat down a little!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Our church was canceled too. We were pretty happy about it! Your girls look so cute in the snow. E made a snow fort and had a blast.

Misty said...

THAT looks delish.

And, I've got a little some thing for you on my blog.

xo Misty

Unknown said...

That looks fun, but too cold for me. It was like 80 something here yesterday. And I will have to try the chili recipe. Looks good.

Kristi said...

Oh yum!! That chili looks delicious, and perfect for a snowy day. I love warm food and warm drinks when its cold outside!! Good thinking :)

Dapoppins said...

Post the scone recipe too! (or send it to me?)

Jami Steele Davis said...

What a fun weekend!! Our church was cancelled too, what is up with the weather around here??? I am ready for this winter to be over!!!