It is no secret, I have red hair. It is shorter right now than is has been most of my life. Right now my color is completely natural. I usually add low lights, highlights, or both. I have been known to dye it a completely different color, but not in a long time.
Tonight my husband and I were minding our business eating our delicious meal. It was a new restaurant, which we both enjoyed. Anyway, an elderly woman aproaches our table and starts to make over my "beautiful hair." While speaking she starts to run her fingers through it and fluff it. I just sat there amazed and in shock. She preceeded to tell us that she had a grandson with red hair and she has always loved red hair, yada, yada, yada. She said that she could not believe her grandson would have red hair, but she "saw it's bright color coming down the birth canal." I thought my husband was going to choke on his Mandarian Chicken.This is not he first time something like this has happened to me. I once actually had an adult male stalk at the mall when I was a teenager, because I "had the most beautiful hair" he had ever seen.
Is red hair that much of a rarity or shock? Has anyone ever touched your hair without permission? I just smiled nervously and thanked her. Should I have let her know how uncomfortable it made me?
This was one for the record books.

8 comments:
Yikes!!! That was kind of a creepy remark about her grandson and seeing his red hair coming through the birth canal.
Not sure what I would have done. No I've never had anyone touch my hair without permission.
Can't say that's happened to me, thank goodness. The birth comment was a little unnecessary though! I'm not sure what I would have done! What restaurant? I'm always up for a new one!
I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL!!! it never fails!! and I am always like... hmm... I dont like it, I want to dye it. They always get awkward... hehe... But I totally understand. I see red hair all the time everywhere I go. Tons of people have it, why is it so important for other to touch and compliment?!? I will never understand...
Holy Ravioli, you would hope some people had boundaries! My word. Personal space, people, personal space!!
You do have beautiful hair!! :)
How completely creepy!!! I don't know what I would have done if that were me.
Holy cow! You DO have gorgeous tresses, but oh my, touching you and stalking you over it? Disturbing for sure!
You know how rare red heads are, right?
http://mommyterry.blogspot.com/2007/09/planet-with-no-red-heads.html
Thanks for visiting my blog. Gina is so sweet. My little red head baby has turned into to a strawberry blond toddler. I hope it at least stays strawberry blond the rest of her life. As I am sure you have seen in your experience, it still looks very red in direct sunlight. My own brown hair has red highlights in it if I get out in direct sunlight.
You do have beautiful red hair. Its a nice shade of red at that. Your little girls are adorable too. Its weird how some people have no sense of personal space. I am also sorry you were stalked - thats creepy. How awkward.
I bet your hubby was first attracted to you because of your red hair. (wink). :)
I love your beautimus red hair too.... always have. I dont think I would have been freaked if she would have touched my hair like that. I guess Im weird. I'll probably let strangers touch my belly when im preggers too. lol
Post a Comment