Three Little Princesses

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Saturday is a Special Day

This post is mostly for my mom. I can remember quite a few Saturday nights, when my mom would sit and roll my sisters and my hair. I would love to do that every Saturday, however I am just not that motivated. But...every once in a while the urge strikes and I do it.
This Saturday I decided to roll M's hair in sponge rollers. The girl's hair is STRAIGHT
and THIN. Her regular style is a ponytail and it started to feel like a tired 'do.' I carefully rolled her entire head. I used small sections of hair for each roller and made sure the curl was tight. I felt very satisfied.
After I finished, S begged me to roll her hair. I was not in the mood to attempt it again, but to make bedtime smoother I caved. I did a loose job and rolled her hair in big chunks just to please her.

On to Sunday...when I took all the sponge rollers out, S had the most beautiful cascading curls. M had stick straight hair. I whipped out my curling iron to attempt a few curls for the poor girl. The more I curled her hair the straighter it got. This is a mystery to me. Good thing she is cute no matter what her hair looks like.

While at church, I got some great hair advice from fellow moms. Next week we will try something different. These pictures are for my mom, I know they will bring back memories.

12 comments:

Yvonne said...

That is definitely a mystery. You are so lucky they sit still so you can use the curling iron.

They are so cute ; )

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I remember doing that when my sisters and I were little. I have no advice though on how to get her hair to curl. I have boys...no curls and bows here!!

Corrine said...

ummm... did you put gel or muse in it while it was wet and before you put the curlers in? I bet you 'hotsets' this is used when you use a curling iron, though. it is heat activated. I love it; it works wonders on my thin hair!! good luck.

Ally said...

Beautiful girls! :D

I, too, remember having my hair done in those rollers when I was little. I doubt my little 4-year-old would sit still long enough for me to attempt on her!

Good job. :)

(I have a little patch of hair on the side of my head that won't curl even if I pay it a million dollars! Which is only annoying now because with two pregnancies, my hair has suddenly decided to become 'naturally curly'.... all except this little patch of hair on the side of my head....)

junglemama said...

Your daughter sre beautiful! Mine love to have curlers in their hair too!

Corrine said...

cant believe those little oink curlers are still around! my hair never stayed curly!

Misty said...

TOTALLY darling..... and now I am singing in my head:

"Saturday day is a special day, it's a day we get ready for Sunday".....

La la la la laaaaaaaaaa!

Lara Neves said...

Bria's hair won't curl for anything either. So frustrating. Of course, I don't know why I am surprised...mine doesn't keep curl in longer than an hour.

They're still adorable in the pink curlers...brings back memories from my childhood, too! :)

Allyson said...

Curls or no curls, they all look very cute. My girls love the pink rollers. They always beg me to put them in their hair. Try using lots of gel in wet hair next time. Good luck!

Jen said...

You have very cute girls and I LOVE your blog! I found you over at Laughadaisy (who's blog I also LOVE). I plan to visit more often. Hope that's okay :) This post was darling and now has me singing the "Saturday" song!

Are We There Yet? said...

Hi...I dont comment much but read your blog often. Your girls are cute, curls or no curls.

However, my daughter was just in a wedding and I had to tackle the curlers in her hair. She has very thin, fine blond hair. It never stays curly and she's only 2, so who wants to mess with that.

Anyway...I got it worked out. First roll their hair when it is dry. As you comb out a section of hair, spray hairspray on it and then roll. I actually did my daughters hair about 3 hrs before the wedding. I took the rollers out about 30 minutes before the wedding and it looked great. It was still curly the next day. She even runs her fingers through her hair all day all the time and it still stayed curly. Let me know if you want a pic, I haven't had time to post on my blog lately.

sorry for the long comment...let us know if it works

Gina said...

The curler pic reminds me of my and my sis at that age! My mom did that and sometimes I'd ask her to braid my wet hair so I'd have waves for Sunday.

Good luck with the bone straight hair woes. :(